American Idiot, the Musical
|Billie does not approve this article.|
If you could improve it, that would be awesome.
|American Idiot, the Musical|
|Directed by:||Michael Mayer|
|Produced by:||Green Day|
|Written by:||Billie Joe Armstrong|
|Based on:||American Idiot by Green Day|
John Gallagher, Jr.
Rebecca Naomi Jones
|Music by:||Green Day|
|Release date:||April 20, 2010|
American Idiot, the Musical, sometimes referred to as Broadway Idiot, is a 2010 broadway musical based on Green Day's American Idiot album. Though the band had little to no participation in the production of the play, lead singer/guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong played the part of St. Jimmy on occasion.
The musical tells the story of three friends - Johnny (John Gallagher, Jr.), Will (Michael Esper), and Tunny (Matt Caplan) - living unhappily in the city of Jingletown. The three go on a journey to find freedom and excitement, but Will has to stay behind to take care of his pregnant girlfriend (Mary Faber); Tunny is shipped off to war; and Johnny turns to drugs and experiences lost love.
- John Gallagher, Jr. / Van Hughes / Aaron Sidwell / Newton Faulkner as Johnny/The Jesus of Suburbia
- Matt Caplan / Stark Stands / David Larsen / Alexis Gerred as Tunny
- Michael Esper / Justin Guarini / Steve Rushton / Matt Thorpe as Will
- Tony Vincent / Billie Joe Armstrong / Lucas Rush as St. Jimmy
- Rebecca Naomi Jones / Amelia Lily as Whatsername
- Mary Faber / Jeanna de Waal / Natasha Barnes / Emma Housley as Heather
- Christina Sajous / Libby Winters / Raquel Jones / Alice Stokoe as The Extraordinary Girl
- Theo "Firecracker" Stockman as The Representative of Jingletown, "Too Much Too Soon" Male Soloist
- Alysha Umphress as "Too Much Too Soon" Female Soloist
- In the background of the city of New York, a poster of Broadway Idiot can be seen in The Smurfs Movie.
- The musical experienced a dramatic drop in box office sales after Billie left the cast.